The second of the Rendell chain ferries, the Torpoint Ferry, running since 1791, was converted to chain-mode in 1832. The ferry carries vehicles and passengers across a stretch of water called the Hamoaze of the River Tamar between Torpoint in Cornwall and Devonport in Plymouth. The Cornwall County Council took ownership of the ferry in 1922, the same time the ferries were converted to carry motor vehicles. At first, only sixteen cars could be loaded; today, up to fifty can be driven aboard.