On the Isle of Wight in the English Channel, this chain ferry carries vehicles across the tidal section of River Medina between East Cowes and Cowes. Built in 1859 as yet another variation on the Rendell design, this ferry service took over a route that had carried passengers since 1720. In 1842, a horse-powered pontoon was added to allow the movement of vehicles and livestock across the river. Steam power has been used for the chain ferry since the 1859 opening. The alternative to the ferry is a ten-mile detour through Newport. The ferry operates every day of the year from dawn until midnight.